Sunday, January 11, 2009

Every little bit helps

So I've been constantly turning off lights..... & TVs for that matter…when my family leaves a room. This is a never ending battle, I promise you I get a full walk in every day just going around room to room turning off lights and whatever else has been mindlessly left on. In addition, I unplug things that aren't in use like the toaster, can opener (heck, to be honest I use my hand operated one 99% of the time now because it's just as easy to get it out than to plug in the electric one), nightlights and such when they are not being used.
I also only do the laundry and run the dishwasher after 8 p.m. I bet you thought I was going to say I washed the dishes by hand didn’t you?? LOL – no way, never, not on your life! I detest doing dishes! LOL

I scored big too at Spokane Discount on florescent light bulbs - they came out to like $1 a bulb!!!! So, yes, lol - those are in play too. Darling Husband turned the water heater down a couple degrees. Now, I am not in favor of him doing because I soooo miss my piping hot showers but.....I suppose it's part of the sacrifice towards the end goal. He also put our computers to sleep mode or something like that (I just use the computer, I don't care how it works lol)so when we don't use them after so many minutes (again see my comment about how I don't care how they function)they basically shut down to conserve energy. The biggest thing we've been able to do is utilize our wood stove. We spend about $200 a month on wood for it but our heater hardly runs - which is set at 68 degrees of course.

For the month of December we fully expected our electric bill to around $700. Due to the changes we made in our lifestyle our bill was only $300. Now, I know, I know - we spent $200 on wood but that still brings it to $500 which is $200 less than we were anticipating. So yes, I have a big ol' smile on my face because I now know that every little bit does in fact help!

No comments: